Thursday, June 4, 2009

Catch Up#1: Gucci Mane




I'm back in America the Great. There still are many Rwanda stories and Norse tales to post for everyone's reading pleasure. That's all gonna have to go on the back burner for a bit, as there's quite a bit of hip-hop related catching up to do.

Gucci Mane - Writing on the Wall (the above cover does not correspond to the songs or mixtape discussed in this post, but I needed a Gucci photo, and why not just use the best)

I'm not gonna waste my time compressing and posting the full mixtape, but I've selected three songs for your downloading pleasure.

1. Hurry
This song is special for two reasons:
a) it features the best version of Gucci's trademark repetitive "Gucci" chant. I'm not counting, but I think he yells "Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci" about 14 times.

b) This song serves as our introduction to our host, DJ Holiday. He starts off by yelling out his name in numerous tones, then after 45 seconds of the song, he stops the song to yell his name some more, ask how his light is looking on him, ponder as to whether or not this is what the top feels like, then starts the song again, and don't worry, if you weren't ready for the song to start again, he blasts the airhorns (pause) a few times to let you know.

This guy quickly turns out to be more annoying than DJ Drama and DJ Khalid combined, which would make this mixtape immediately unlisten-to-able if it weren't such an impressive feat.

"#1 emergency, Gucci Mane get currency, somebody call an ambulance I think my flow been burglary" (sic)

2. Game
A nostalgic look back at Gucci's early life, at school, at home, and in the trap.

3. First Day Out
A trip through Gucci's first day out in the free world.
"I'm starting off my day with a blunt of purp/no pancakes just a cup of syrup."

Gucci Mane - Three songs off Writing on the Wall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home