Monday, March 9, 2009

A City Foreclosed




What happens to a city when people loose their homes in staggering numbers? Alex Kotlowitz, who we all remember from There Are No Children Here, takes us on a mind-numbing tour of Cleveland's Slavic Village where block after block of vacant homes give way to urban apocalypse.. It's not an uplifting story. Cleveland has to ward off predatory lending, evil real-estate speculators, squatters setting houses on fire, a decline in a tax-base that would blow your mind, and so much more. And here's the thing, there's not too much they can do except razing the homes, and even that, even home demolitions are damn near prohibitively expensive.


Read it.

For more brilliance on Kotlowitz, read his love letter to Chicago. A truly great book and probably my second favorite book ever written about the city after the historical triumph of American Pharaoh. For more on Cleveland, go here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Schulte said...

What's your first favorite book?

3/12/09, 10:40 AM  
Blogger mayor said...

The quote was "For more brilliance on Kotlowitz, read his love letter to Chicago. A truly great book and probably my second favorite book ever written about the city after the historical triumph of American Pharaoh. "

the book mentioned is second, the first is American Pharaoh. These of course are my favorite books written about Chicago, I would advise you to read them but it's obvious you can't read.

3/12/09, 12:58 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Schulte said...

Hey Adam, sorry I didn't dwell on your sentence structure, as I wrote down the name of the book to read. I guess you an I both know I'll just walk around with the title showing so people think I'm cool. Thanks for nothing.

Also, what did I just write? I can't read it...

3/13/09, 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home