Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Milwaukee: Officially Better Than L.A.

For all you non-Milwaukeeans:

When we do it, we do it big. Harley's 105th bash went off without a hitch. Over half a million people came into town, rode around on their bikes, got all types of hammered, saw an already legendary concert, and celebrated the other thing that made Milwaukee famous. A half a million, or around that, swelled our city to it's outer limits, but it all went off without a hitch. Whoever planed this should be McCain's new running mate.

I could go on and on and on about the weekend, but this quote from some dude from upstate New York who was on his way back says it all:

"I am driving away a little melancholy because it’s a reminder that mile by mile I am getting farther away from Milwaukee..."

WHAT? IT'S LIKE THE WORDS THEMSELVES CAME OUT OF MY OWN MOUTH.

Here's that quote again, it's such an important, monumental quote in the history of my quest to let the world know what Milwaukee is all about that I don't want anyone hurting their neck looking back up at it.

"I am driving away a little melancholy because it’s a reminder that mile by mile I am getting farther away from Milwaukee..."

So, let's break it down, word by word and examine this statement.
"I'm driving away"= I'm leaving, leaving the party and the festivities and headed back to where I'm from.
"a little melancholy"= sad as fuck
"because it's a reminder"=everything I see along the path home makes me think....
"that mile by mile I am getting farther away from Milwaukee"= that Milwaukee is the best place on earth and every step I take and every inch I ride my bike away from Milwaukee is illogical, because I like it there so much more than wherever I'm from and I don't know why I can't stay there. Perhaps it's too good and I'm just not ready for such a thing. If I were to live out my fantasy what would there be to dream about?


Also, I knew this already, but the organizers of the festival learned the following lesson:

Bruce Springsteen: Officially better than Elton John



His show has already, already, been marked down as one of the great concerts in Milwaukee concert history. The man played for three hours and fifty minutes and enjoyed as much as anyone in the audience.

Done

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.coldsplinters.com/?p=354

9/4/08, 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home